Ehlers Young Artist Concerto Competition
The Concerto Competition is Back!
Special for this season: 2 concert programs featuring young artist soloists.
About the competition
This season, two concert programs will feature young artist competition winners. In addition to performing with the orchestra, the winner receives a cash prize from the Ehlers Memorial Scholarship Fund.
One Young Artist Concerto Competition winner will perform in March 2022 and the other will perform in May 2022:
- March Concerts: Saturday, March 26, 8 PM and Sunday, March 27, 2022, 2 PM
- May Concerts: Saturday, May 21, 8 PM and Sunday, May 22, 2022, 2 PM
Up to two other applicants may be invited to play prelude recitals before a Saturday or Sunday concert.
DATES/TIMES: Wednesday and Thursday, January, 19 & 20, 2022, 7:30-10:30 PM, at Concord Academy in Concord, MA
- These in person auditions may be recorded so that a winner’s audition performance may be played for the conductor who will be working with that winner.
- Applicants must be available for all 4 of the March and May performance dates listed above.
- We will be following CDC, Concord Academy, and Concord Orchestra guidelines for masking and that we may require applicants to be fully vaccinated.
The Ehlers Young Artist Concerto Competition is open to musicians of high school age or younger who reside in eastern Massachusetts. All orchestral instruments are considered, including piano. Each entrant auditions to play an entire concerto or similar work, suitable for performance with the orchestra. The winner is chosen by a panel of orchestra members and the music director through auditions.
The Ehlers Memorial Scholarship Fund was established in 1993 in memory of Charles and Arlene Ehlers, past orchestra friends and supporters. Contributions to perpetuate this fund may be mailed to The Concord Orchestra at P.O. Box 381, Concord, MA 01742.
Application and Fee
Please return application form with fee by Tuesday, January 4, 2022.
2020 Young Artist Competition Winners
Winner: Andrew Gu, 13, piano, Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 1 in D flat Major
Runner up: Fei Yang-Sady, 12, violin. Invited to play Friday recital.
Runner up: Kaitlyn Kaminuma, 14, violin. Invited to play Saturday recital.
2019 Young Artist Competition Winners
Winner: Hayden Idson, Cello, Tchaikovsky’s Variations on a Rococo Theme
Runner up: Zehavi Rodriguez, 13, Cello
Runner up: Hannah Ryu, 17, Violin
2018 Young Artist Competition Winners
Winner: Alexander Goldberg, Violin, Prokofiev Violin Concerto Number 2
Runner Up: Hayden Idson, Cello. Invited to play Saturday recital
Runner Up: Hotin Chan, Cello. Invited to play Friday recital