Concord Orchestra Music Director Search
JOB TITLE: MUSIC DIRECTOR
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
The Concord Orchestra is seeking a professional Music Director who will lead and prepare us to provide our audiences with engaging, outstanding performances of a wide range of orchestral repertoire.
ABOUT THE CONCORD ORCHESTRA
The Concord Orchestra was founded in 1953 as a symphony orchestra composed largely of volunteer musicians. We are a resident group at the 51 Walden Performing Arts Center, a vibrant and busy historic venue in Concord, MA, where we rehearse Tuesday evenings and perform five weekends each season. Over our 60+ year history we have performed concert seasons annually, commissioned new music, and once even brought the group to perform in Europe.
We draw our 70-some players from Concord and the greater Boston Metro area. In addition to a number of professionals who donate their time in order to enjoy playing in a quality symphonic group, our members include graduates from conservatory and university music programs. We employ a paid professional concertmaster, and also bring in paid players of specialty instruments as needed for larger scale works. We all play for the joy of performing and delighting audiences, and for the satisfaction of developing our skills as musicians, including tackling challenging repertoire in both contemporary and more traditional veins.
CONCERT PROGRAMMING AND REPERTOIRE
The Concord Orchestra’s seasons have regularly included a broad range of works, with each program performed at two or three concerts. Our three “Symphonic” concert programs each season usually include an introductory piece, then a concerto or other piece that includes a virtuoso or selected student soloist, and a larger scale work such as a symphony. Most programs include at least one piece composed in modern times. Recent seasons’ large-scale works have included symphonies by Beethoven, Schumann, Mahler, Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff, Shostakovich, and Tchaikovsky, as well as Bartok’s opera Bluebeard’s Castle.
We also perform annual family and pops-oriented programs. The family concerts include narrated works for the young and young-at-heart, holiday-oriented fare and often a collaboration with a local school or youth music group. Our pops concerts include light classical offerings, selections from movies, showtunes and popular music. As a component of our Pops programs, we often have a professional singer perform a medley, commissioned by and arranged for us, of songs by a highlighted jazz or American songbook composer.
We look forward to developing and evolving our repertoire and seasonal program formats under a creative and involved Music Director who leads music selection and programming.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE CONCORD ORCHESTRA
Repertoire Lists (previous ten seasons):
- The Mississippi River Suite, Ferde Grofé – Performed in 2017
- Jerome Kern medley, by Bernie Hoffer, Jeff Korn, vocalist – Performed in 2017
- St. Lucia Morning: Market Day in Castries, Bernie Hoffer – Performed in 2008
- Mephisto Waltz No. 1, Franz Liszt – Performed in 2018
MUSIC DIRECTOR POSITION SUMMARY
The Music Director is the artistic director and conductor of the Concord Orchestra. Experienced in performance and rehearsal practice with volunteer and professional musicians alike, they will ensure that artistic excellence is attained in all aspects of the orchestra’s musical activities, including subscription concerts, artistic partnerships, the young artist competition, and outreach. The Music Director will be expected to bring a broad and deep knowledge of orchestral repertoire and instrumental technique.
- Masters Degree in music performance/conducting or commensurate experience as demonstrated in the application materials
- Experience conducting and delivering compelling performances with professional and volunteer orchestras
- Live within commuting distance of Concord, MA
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit confidential applications by March 30, 2021 using the following email:
Each application should include the following attachments in pdf format.
Requested materials [Note: If referring us to a website, please attach individual links to the specific materials that are requested.]
- Letter of interest, including why you are applying, and your vision for this orchestra. Please include professional/personal examples that demonstrate your proven capabilities and/or potential in the areas of artistic leadership, creative programming, community engagement, and the development of subscribers and audience.
- C.V. including relevant experience
- Sample programs created and conducted by the candidate
- Links to unedited video recordings of rehearsals and performances conducted by the applicant, ideally including those from the perspective of the orchestra
- Three professional references including at least two from musicians
Music Director/Conductor finalists will be scheduled to conduct a full cycle of rehearsals and a full subscription concert(s) either in the spring or fall of 2022. The goal is for the new Music Director to assume responsibility for the planning and execution of the 2023 – 2024 season.
The Concord Orchestra is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in the US.